Thursday

A Prisoner in All Senses


A starving emotion
the burning need for a safer feeling
an ache
a malnourished idea
of what truth is
and where faith can be found

a barren hope
of gaining hope
and evacuating the terrifying loneliness

a shot in the dark
plays tricks on my nerves
and no one to hold on to

a life sentence in my prison cell
gives me time to reflect 
how love had stripped me bare
though I never even thought I had
let it in

memories
of distant friends
never understood
never breaking through emotional barriers
but wanting

vague memories
of a happy childhood
before wanting
but the wanting overcame all other feelings

the aching hindered me
led me to make risky mistakes
it locked me up
it sent me here

now, I've lost all contact with my senses
I have memories of feelings
vague associations with real emotions

now and then, I touch upon them
but I can't commit myself to any of these
sensations
they are only history

I still want
but the wanting is different, now
I feel so caged

false motives
brought me to this cell
this isn't me, and I know it

letting the lifelessness seep into my mind,
I am a prisoner in all senses of the word

like they always tell me,
I can't escape
I have to earn my way out of here
maybe someday, I'll find out what freedom is

yet another day, and I fall victim to the wanting.

- March 29, 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment