Monday

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"


I'm not going to grow up and get a job
I'm going to become a sewer rat
and eat scum
I'll grow hair all over my body
become short
and fat
a long, thin tail and tiny legs
I'll be covered with slime
and crawl along the passageways 
and sneak into your house
to eat your food
and your pet hamsters, fish, cats and dogs
I'll bite off your feet in the middle of the night
you'll have nightmares of me as you bleed to death

I'll chew holes in your ceiling on rainy nights
and in your walls to let the rodents
and cockroaches through
You'll never keep up with me
I'm too quick
your house and household will decay
until I'm better off than you
until you become one of us,
chewing away at the "civilized" world
until you, too, are sewer rats
and the echo of a growing race will
sound throughout the underground
a tunnel for you
is all that you need
and all scum are created equal

- March 19, 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment