Sunday

The Noose


"I sold my soul to love you"
you say

but I know you sold nothing
you gave me nothing
and held on to me 
like a noose around a dead man's neck
an innocent man

And even now I am not free
you wanted me to rot
you wanted me to hurt 
like you

I could never hurt
when I saw you like a pitiful rodent
trying to bring me down with you

Precisely what I did to you 
was nothing
this, you would never admit

I never knew you
I was aware of the little world you had created
in your mind
I was aware that I was a player on your stage
but unaware that when I walked away,
I would feel the tight grip of your choker-chain,
cutting off my air
forcing me back towards you

you wanted me
in the palm of your sweaty hand

I saw it as a fool's power-trip
now, as a madman's

I don't know what it was,
but you sold your soul to something
long before we met

I never believed that such a pathetic creature as you
could do so much damage
but you have left me barren

They have locked you in your room
but what can they do for me?
my life is barely existence
I have forgotten what reality means

Tonight, I'm getting you out of my closet
and fitting you right
and hanging you straight
the wooden beam in the ceiling should hold

I'll kick away the chair, now
and again fall victim to your grip
but this time, no resistance
and he who will succumb to your destruction
is forever
an innocent man

- April 8, 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment