Wednesday

The Monster Inside, Part II


There is a monster in my mind
that churns out odd and peculiar thoughts
if I try to chain that monster down,
it changes form
and slips through the handcuffs

yet I speak its name
and it comes bounding to its master
I suppose we both know that I am the
true servant

I fall victim to a thousand misplaced dreams
but they are my life
they keep me moving

I am the monster
I stretch out my hands
to grasp at threads
becoming strings
which lead to ropes and vines
and nets
someday, they'll hold me
and help me climb to the top

today, I fall through
tomorrow, I fall through
but someday, I'll reach the top
the highest peak of my existence

I am a writer -
a "poet", so to speak-
an actress
an entrepreneur
a friend and enemy of the people
a lover of music and conversation
a radical
a rebel
and a saint

and who would bring this person down from 
her endless climb?
and who would blame her?

the strength to climb
is the strength to dream
and the monster in my mind is power unleashed

- March 21, 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment