Friday

The Most Untouched Woman in the World


Some women are touched women
they have experienced the pleasures of the flesh
Other women are untouched
they have only experienced the pleasures of their fantasies
But I'm not here to talk about other women - 
only me.
I am the most untouched woman in the world.

When I was younger, I came to a fork in the road.
The first path was ideal - or would have been, 
had the weeds not overgrown
there were wildflowers and maple trees
But there were also mushrooms, poison ivy patches,
and thorny bushes
there was a small creek at the beginning of the trail
that I would have to jump over 
or wade through
and beyond all of the initial beauty of the path
there was a darkness and a sense of danger
which I was not ready to face
So I turned away to the other path

The second path was grassy and freshly cut
it seemed nearly void of all mosquitos and flies,
and I thought it a quaint little path for a stroll
So I chose the second path, in secret hopes 
that it would eventually lead back to the first

Now and then, I have occasional encounters 
with the first path, and yet
it is still so far away
It seems to me that the longer I travel the second path, 
the longer it gets.

I'm walking alongside the creek, now,
very thirsty for a drink
but I can't quite reach the water
it's become too wide to jump to the other side

I see my friends across the stream,
walking along the other path
We see each other, wave, and exchange words
but they are touched women 
I am not.

How funny a thing it is to be walking on one path 
with a friend, and then
turn around to see that you've been talking to a mirror image of the girl across the river
All of a sudden, she is the same person
but in a different reality

And the funniest thing is that none of that really
bothers me
What actually gets to me is that I feel
like I'm running out of chances
Like every man sees that I'm untouched,
and therefore wishes not to harm my purity

Well, listen, world, 
I'm growing a little tired of my purity
And I'd just assume cross the river, now
Will this era of my life will always remain
untouched?

(approx. 1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment