Friday

Meet Me in Ten and a Half Years


Dear M.,

The only times I've seen you, lately, it seems to me that there is at least one leech close at hand.  It could be W., R. or C.  I have no idea how you can stand it.  Then again, you might not consider them as lecherous as I do.  I don't know.  For all I know, I could fall in that category, too.  Anyway, this isn't the point that I'm trying to make.  I'm just saying that because of them, I don't get much of a chance to talk to you when I see you.

And furthermore, why did you have to go off to college?  Especially when I had just gotten used to seeing you in the halls every day?

Well, I've been thinking about all of these things, and how it would be really easy for us to just kind of drift away from each other's lives, so I decided to take action.  I am going to propose that in 10 1/2 years, you and I meet at Allerton Park (near Monticello, IL) on March 3, if weather permits.  There's a little area where the Fu Dogs used to be (there's a sign for the Fu Dogs at the parking lot entrance).  Next to the Fu Dog area is a little Gazebo-type building.  If it's really cold, I may be in there.  If it's just too cold on March 3rd, try again on March 20.  If not the 20th, try April 1st.  If I still don't see you by then, I will come every Saturday after that 'till the last Saturday before the 24th of June (unless that's a Saturday).  Am I confusing you?  Maybe definite plans aren't necessary.  

- sigh - 

Well, anyway I'm just trying to point out that we should keep in touch, so we won't have to plan things like this.  I have a better proposition: if you ever hear that there's going to be a meteor shower, please invite me to go see it with you.  I've never seen a shooting star, and it would be a special pleasure for you to share it with me.

(approx. 1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment