Monday

It Still Holds


Another empty day
another lifeless existence
what's one more tear to a face that's seen floods?
what's one more wound to a bleeding, dying soldier?

There is a break in the glass
where the cold air invites itself in
I wait for the blast of wind that'll shatter 
the window

sitting, waiting, 
each blow is stronger
waiting, waiting,
it still holds
that's the worst part
it won't be over with
it still holds

ragged shoes tread
the wet, musty floor
where the rain - the tears - have fallen
too worn to care
what's one more drop of water 
when it's already ruined?

I stand in front of the window
watching, waiting
expecting the next wind to send glass slivers 
into my face and eyes
but it still holds

Out the window, I see a world I once knew,
I once understood
Now, I'm confined to the inner chambers of 
this prison
watching, waiting
living for giving in --
to what?

I don't know, something
I'm looking out the window to another life
waiting, watching 
for the storm to come
what's one more death to a mortal world?

- April 16, 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment