Wednesday

Tribute to a Candle


memories fall
like rain
down the windowpane
listen to the music
see the pictures
hear the words of past conversations
watch the candle as it burns down the years of my life

every object
holds a memory
every word spoken
reminds me of times past
every dark corner
represents the dark corners in me
listen to the silence

the wind hits the glass windows
this night is timeless
I am a glazed doll
kept alive by the heartbeat
of a previous day

are you there?
yes, you are there
you feel it too
the candle holds us in
and keeps us still in time

you are here
but we don't know where we are
there goes another year before our eyes
and where has it taken us?
farther from each other
further from what we know

how many candles have there been before?
we are still in fluid time

I feel spirits within me 
that are not of this world
you are one of them -
the missing link
so close, yet so far

I look,
not surprised to see you in the candle
are you happy? 
even though it isn't the same?
I usually am
the music soothes me
and helps me forget

a third year goes by
what a time it was, huh?
and when will it ever come again?

in the fourth year comes the pain
of separation
I see many good-byes and
few hellos

hello, friend
we begin the fifth year
what is to come?
and what is to pass?
where will it take us?
more broken dreams, crushed fantasies?
more tears?
yes, more tears

I have a lot of things to comfort me
but they don't make up for you
my heart has a crack down the side
which, every once in a while
makes me skip a beat

another year goes by
and I'm getting more skilled at hurting

another year goes by
and haven't we aged?
now, you've got love
now, I've got poems
and the strength to be alone

memories of a sunny day
warm me inside
memories of a day when the world 
was at my feet
and not down my throat
a day when I could easily tell
what was real
and what was illusion
it was simple!  illusions didn't cast shadows
but I've been deceived again

another year goes by
every day is another drop of wax
down the candle
marking the distance between us, now

I put out the candle
and hope for the best
what else can I do?
and another year goes by

- Jan 11., 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment