Monday

Child of the New Day


Sweet, sweet child
with large, innocent eyes
and radiant smile
inquisitive mind
come, tell me your secret
let me capture a ray of your sunshine

Child of the morning star,
how is it that you perceive so well
what we see as complex and impossible?
if I could only gain some of your insight
if I could only see through your eyes

just after noon, you are at your peak,
dancing with the daffodils
and singing for me to come join
if only I could,
I'd be there in a second!
but I must be reasonable
I must think of war and politics
this is truth, to me

Summertime sunset child
lay your warm glow before me
let me catch the last glimmer of another
fleeting day
you have still not revealed to me
the source of youth's insight
why won't you do this one favor for me?
but children don't understand such obligations

you dance before me
but will not let me in!
how can you be so peaceful
in this turbulent world?

Child of the moon
reflecting daytime's glow
how happily you sleep!
don't you know of all the
suffering in the world
how can it not touch you?
alas, my child,
sleep well
tomorrow, you will understand reality
tomorrow, you will be aware of life's
injustices

Child of a new day
don't make humanity's mistakes
keep that warm, innocent glow
never,
never stop dancing among the flowers!
perhaps someday,
I might join you again,
but today,
I must carry banners
and be careful in love
and be cynical towards the leaders
of the people
I must fight for your future
so that you may always carry
the light
I never had time for

Sweet, sweet child
yours is the sunshine that
may melt the ice
and warm the world once again...

- Jan. 30, 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment