Saturday

The Floodgates


I can't stand to be with him
for we have barriers
I have barriers
He has barriers
and I have endless notations in my mind
instead of love

And in the dark
we hold each other
we clench fiercely
and make love
for here, we believe we can find
what we have lost
but in the light, 
we are blank faces

I can't hide in the light!
I can't cover up my fears
I must fight
to look so indifferent
I must pull at my cheeks
for an occasional smile
I must turn away with my eyes
just before they conjure water
because I can't talk -
I'm so afraid of what the truth might be
I can't tell him 
that I'm so confused

There's too much water
pushing against this 
battered dam
why have I been holding out?
when there could be so much love
I must release the pain
in order to relieve the pressure. . .

Floodgate 1:
A father with a mind to my failure
he has never believed in my dreams
telling me I'm wrong
Am I wrong?
Was I wrong from the start?
Will I be wrong again?

Floodgate 2:
A self-centered poet
who wants herself more than anything else
who has devoted her life to love
who talks of pain,
but who cannot stand to feel it
who talks of love,
but who cannot stand to feel it

Floodgate 3:
A set of ideas
of what a person should be 
that would stop the love
if it could
that would make me wait
for no less than a god

Floodgate 4:
A lover who I love
but who falls short of the mark
who has no words to love me by
who's so discreet when people are around
that I sometimes wonder. . .

Floodgate 5:
A need I have
to share and to receive
that the public may know it
that world may know it
a need I have 
for some devotion

Floodgate 6:
A necessity for attention, sacrifice,
that primordial touch
and an understanding of love.


Now that the floodgates are known,
let them open, and release the river
so I can claw my way 
to solid ground. . .

- Jan. 4, 1986, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment