Monday

Poetic Justice


Chills,
Thrills, and Spills
My soul is wriggling
beneath it's skin:
"Let me in!  Let me in!"

It's so sad to be Anonymous
and even I, myself, mistaken
I am shaken
to the bone
By Metaphor, Persona, and Tone
I am filled 
beyond my limit
with Symbolism
and Imagery in it

And just today, I've made my choice:
the world will know this poet's voice

So let the critics speak their fear
that yet another poet's here
And gladly starve, and gladly rot
for after death to share the spot
within a textbook, or a journal
or a placemat, or a paper
and though fame is known to taper --

Let me clearly be defined 
with little numbers by my lines
and little footnotes, stand to reason
when my speech is out of season
that professors will interpret
just the lines that they see fit

And happily, I'll face the hunger
both above and deep down under
but from the world, I do command
one single, solitary stand:
That in life, we be acknowledged
for the labor of our poet's hands.

- Dec. 16, 1985, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment