Wednesday

The Hour of Relative Impermanence


The hour of relative impermanence
slips by like a ghost --
kind of hazy and midnight blue;                kind of
soft and satisfied

I lower myself onto the paper
it takes me;
we breathe together

Listless river of night
soothing pond of time
we dream,
we use our words in the silence to say 
yes.
Yes, we know them well

Yes all will be complete
it's a dream, you know
don't be afraid to face it

we make these dreams
the day is functional
the night is cerebral
we make these dreams

We sift ourselves in time
Is this me?
Or, it could be this
notations and footnotes
I could be an essay
I could be a piece of cheese

But no, I am a Yes
I am a sultry Uh-Huh
moving smoothly down that placid stream
with a persuasive mellowness,
I communicate with my existence

Sensations unite
it's the hour of relative impermanence
I dream,
alive
and in this dream
I write an essay               And it says
Yes.

- Dec. 11, 1985, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment