Monday

The Rush


I was standing in the subway,
waiting for the train
in the distance, the white eyes of the snake 
glared at me

"It's coming," I whispered to myself.

But it was not the train that I would catch you on.

As it neared, the volume of its rumbling increased in numbers -
earth-shaking power -
I began to feel the rush.

Then the wind came up
it nearly blew the hat off my head
I sensed the strength
and the unmerciful force
that nearly swept me away.

But this was not the train -
not yet.
I watched, and part of me was pulled along
as this train went on without me
[heartless infatuation,
you give me a feeling, but nothing more. . .]
how disappointing.

And in the past few weeks that I've been waiting, 
I've begun to wonder
why it's always the one that passes
instead of the one that stops
but there is a force that takes me down there
and a certain pleasure to the rush
and I keep thinking it will be the next time -

so I do not mind the wait.

- Oct. 26, 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment