Monday

Cosmos in the House (Dedicated to Carl Sagan)


I found a black hole in my
cupboard one day
it opened up wide
and nearly swept me away

I found a super-nova
in my cereal bowl
from then, I don't care so much
for Cheerios

And I found the moon lurking behind
my closet door
But it was waxing on my clothing
and it waned all over my floor

It was the day that the Big Dipper
came right out of my oven
That I knew this cosmic-domestic
combination had to end

I tried the strongest cleansers,
but they didn't seem to stop
the trail of Haley's Comet
from landing in my pop

I must admit it is distracting
as I try to get to sleep
when underneath the sheets,
I find a floating galaxy

Or when I sit down to watch the news
on my old T.V.
And shooting stars come popping out
to block the entire screen

I even called the exterminator
and he was blown away
He barely squeezed in through the door
because of the Milky Way

And even with my laundry I do have
substantial doubt
Because with Saturn's rings-around-your-collar,
you can't just Shout it out

And yet, I may be growing fond
of all these oddities
I guess I really shouldn't complain
if the Universe wants to live with me

I suppose I like the fact 
that I have something that's unique
Because I like to take the nebula
for a walk along the street

And maybe it's not so bad
when I'm sitting down for tea
If the Cosmos comes into the room
and has a drink with me

Yeah, I guess I'll keep these little guys
no matter how much I hate
to see dust clouds in the kitchen sink
or lurking on my plate

- Aug. 5, 1985, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment