Sunday

You Want Me to Call, but I'm Still Recovering from your Beautiful Gift of Kryptonite


Don't you see?
I had to do it
otherwise, you would have allowed yourself hope
but there's no hope for your dream

I would do almost anything for you
but I will not lie
that's how we got here
and that's how we've got to stay

I don't mean to forget
and you make me guilty with the strength
of your memory
you were not a drop in a bucket
but what, exactly, you were has escaped
from my feelings, now

It was too intense
there was too much pain
there came a point where I had to 
let it all go
and then, no matter how I tried, 
I couldn't bring it back

Don't you see?
everything I do seems beyond my control
I lost you
and I can't get you back

Even today, I would do anything not to hurt you
but there are some actions 
that I have to take
that will hurt
all I can say is I'm sorry

Don't let me bring you down
remember the good times -
hot summer days,
starry, clear nights -
they are some of the best memories I have

In a lot of ways, I'd love to go back to
that ideal history
I'd like to live in a world where people
can be so happy together
where everything is so good

But you see?
I've got no grasp on what is was, really
not any more
you want me to come back
but I don't know what to come back to
you want me to love again
but I don't remember what I was loving

A month later, and I hear you're back with her
you're getting nowhere
you'll never learn
but I can't hold it against you
because you feel there's only one other choice
and I can't provide you with that

So hold on
hold on to the memories
there is no other way

Our love was excellent in its time
but now we must move on. . .

- March 17, 1985, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment