Wednesday

Magic Poem


I'd like to thank the girl in Lindsborg, Kansas,
who one day, instead of killing herself,
decided to find this poem and let it change her life

I'd like to thank the old man in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania,
who always longed for a poem to be written about him,
who read this,
and let it make the difference

I'd like to thank all of the lonely people
who helped create this magic poem
for themselves
who knew that somewhere inside,
they had something very important
and waited all their lives to read
these words

I'd like to thank all of those on the verge of despair
- and some who are beyond -
for finding their poem
and for finding hope
here
we are all together

And finally,
I'd like to thank you, with your
sadness or frustration or unrest
for wanting to make it to the 
next line
of your magic poem

Tell me,
you feel like you're the only one, don't you?
well, you are
and yet, there are millions of other
"only ones" in the world
but that doesn't make your pain any less

Tell me, you need somebody to talk to, don't you?
and you feel so desperately alone
you cry in the dark
and you scream in the pain of the light
but knowing is, by no means, solving

Well, here I am
your magic poem
I was created by you, for you
and because of you
I know where you've been
- I've been with you all along -
and I'll be with you till the very end
I'll love you
even when you don't love yourself
I'll care about you
even when you don't care about 
yourself
I'm going to give you a reason
for doing the hardest things in life

I'm your magic poem
and I'm going to hang on for you -
even when you can't
If you decide to kick it in,
I wish you the best in the next world
If you decide to stick around,
I'm proud
I'm really proud
but wherever you're going,
I'm going to get there with you
we can tell jokes along the way
I'll even do so much as unpack your bags for you
and make sure you enjoy your stay

Hello,
I'm your magic poem
I'd like to thank you for making it
to this day
and for creating this poem for yourself
I accept you for everything you are,
everything you feel,
and everything you want to be

This poem is for you
and you alone
I'd like to thank you for letting it
change your life
I'm going to cry with you
I'm going to hurt
I may not make your pain any less,
but I can teach you how to do it

And in the end
- always in the end -
I'm going to make you love yourself
I'm going to call an end to the suffering
I'll help let loose all the grips of pain
and finally,
I will greet you to the new day

I'd like to thank you.

- Feb. 6, 1985, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment