Sunday

Changing the Love Game


I spend most of my time stargazing...
is that a twinkle in your eyes?
it's close enough
I'm gazing again...

want me,
but don't try to capture me
that's always when love turns sour

and yet I want a chase
you know I do
I hope you never take your beautiful eyes
off of me

you ask,
"who is this captivating stranger?"
but I give you no answers
I want to keep you guessing
it's my love game

months from now, I will regret
that I talked too much,
I played too much,
and how calculatingly I worked myself around giving

I want a challenge
I want you to somehow teach me a different
love game
I wish you knew how
I wish I knew how
to break away the "me" wall in my life

And all those to whom I would have given the world,
I somehow lost
I always search for the romance of the stranger
when real people bore me
and I fool myself into believing that this is
a better love
but perhaps the stranger knows
and that's why I lose him

Granted, I am young
but there are things I know I must learn
I want to learn
I just don't know how
teach me to be your lover, and I will
reward you with the best feelings anyone
could have
equality, understanding, security, contentment -
the elements of love
my heart with yours

I just need a lesson or two
to make me change my ways
I've picked up a few bad habits here and there
and I want to do better next time
I want to begin with you

- July 8, 1984, A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment